Imagine it’s the Oscars. A movie star is wearing a gorgeous designer gown but decides she doesn’t need to do anything with her hair or makeup. Does everyone talk about the incredible gown? No way! All they can remember is how unfinished and horrible she looked inside the gown!
1. People don’t buy houses, they buy homes they can picture themselves in. They want to feel like it’s move-in ready. Move in Sat., organize a bit Sun. and back to work and school on Mon.
2. It is difficult to understand the size of a room, when there’s nothing in it as a reference point.
3. Only 10% of people can visualize what furniture may look like in a home, 90% can’t. Since they can’t visualize how furniture will fit in an empty space, and if they’re unsure, they don’t buy.
4. Prospective buyers focus on negative details when a room is empty, instead of falling in love with the overall space.
All they can think about are things like, “What is that little thing in the drywall? I don’t like the colour on the wall? Why doesn’t the closet have shelves? Why doesn’t that moulding fit perfectly? Why is the light switch on that side of the wall?
5. Prospective buyers can get distracted from paying attention to the house when even a few rooms are empty, and shift their focus to the home owners.
Instead of focusing on whether this is the home for them, they may be busy wondering: Is this a divorce? Have they left town? Are they selling because they have money problems? This train of thought can then prompt buyers to starting thinking, “maybe I can put in a low ball offer since the seller might be desperate.” Definitely not the picture you are trying to paint.
Packaging a home to show off its best features and downplay the flaws, is what home staging is about. You attract and romance the most buyers and entice them into making an emotional connection with your house. Bringing in some furnishings and accessories, and knowing where and how to place them, will add character and warmth to the home. It is proven that these final details will translate into a higher return on your investment.